The interviewer wants to know that you don't just jump into a solution without knowing the problem in detail. You want to study the problem by determining the cause of the problem, what the problem is, and what the possible solutions are. You then decide on a solution.
Following steps for problem-solving and decision-making can be very helpful.
- Define the problem to be solved and decision to be made.
- Gather the necessary information.
- List all possible choices.
- Consider possible outcomes for each choice.
- Check out how you feel about each of the choices.
- Relate the choices to your values and priorities.
- From the possible alternatives, choose one.
- Commit yourself to your chosen decision and disregard the others. Concentrate your energies in one direction. Once we made our decision, we must focus all our work on that itself.
- Take steps to turn your decision into positive action.
- Evaluate your progress from time to time. Change your decision if necessary.